Thursday, February 14, 2013

west virginia cowboy: part four


Today is one of my favorite holidays, because it encourages you to really appreciate the people in your life who love you. When things are crazy and you're so busy you barely have time to think, it's easy to forget to tell your people you love them. So, this year is a little different than previous Valentine's Days I've had. Kyle and I are busy with life things, neither of us have each other's gifts prepared, and I've traveled a lot during the last few days for something that isn't fun at all.

By now, you know about Corey, but I haven't spent enough time talking about the people he left behind. His sister, his mother, and his daddy.

Corey was a cowboy because his dad taught him to be. Kelsey is a good-hearted, smart, strong woman, because her daddy taught her to be. And Tina is a wonderful mother because Jeff was there beside her to be her babies' father.

On Sunday morning, Jeff died of a broken heart. I really believe that. Kelsey wrote on Corey's Facebook wall that she guessed it was only fair that he get a parent in heaven and she get one on earth, but I know that doesn't make losing her daddy and her brother any easier.

I'm not sure why bad (read "really freaking awful") things happen to good (read "amazing, strong, loving") people. I don't know what "plan" could possibly be in play with this, but I do know that Tina and Kelsey Queen are two of the strongest women I've ever met.

I know this isn't my typical V-day post, but my point is that today is about the people you love, and these two women are missing the two people they love the most. 

While I'm so heartbroken for my family and friends, I am also incredibly thankful for the people in my life who love me. It's weird being so sad and so grateful at the same time. 

So, please go hug the people you love. Hug them really freaking tight. If you can't hug them, call them. Don't use Valentine's Day as an excuse, either. Hug them all the time. Hold onto the moments with them for as long as you can. I promise, you won't regret it.  

love.
krq.


No comments:

Post a Comment